The CMC Designation
In business, sometimes situations arise that fall outside of the ordinary. When these crises occur, you need someone who immediately grasps the problem, and who will work with you to solve it. The Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation is the mark conferred upon professional consultants.
It is a competency-based designation that requires education, experience, and evaluation. The CMC is a peer-reviewed designation, which means senior practitioners help ensure a solid understanding and demonstration of the common body of knowledge, combined with strict adherence to the uniform code of professional conduct. This ensures that Certified Management Consultants stand for the betterment of their profession, themselves, and your business.
All CMC candidates must have a university education, from a recognized program, or a professional license i.e. CA, CGA, CMA, CPA, or P.Eng.
In order to progress to the evaluation stage, CMC candidates must successfully complete a series of rigorous professional education programs.
All candidates must have a minimum of three years of relevant management consulting experience.
CMC candidates must pass a national assessment, tailored for them based on their experience.
CMCs have proven they understand and demonstrate the nine core competencies as required by the National Certification Committee.
Senior CMCs will review previous engagements, taking into account client feedback, and the deliverables produced by the candidate.
All CMCs must annually declare to adhere to the uniform code of professional conduct and invest in continuing professional development.
Have an ally who is knowledgeable, objective, and a leader.
Why it matters
The CMC designation is internationally recognized and respected in 45 countries, and is subject to reciprocity in these countries. Not only does this ensure certified members are committed to the highest standards of consulting, it means that all CMCs adhere to an International Code of Ethics.
The CMC Code of Professional Conduct ensures that any consultant who holds the designation maintains the highest standards of ethics, etiquette, and quality. It is something that our certified members take very seriously, and what separates the CMC from consultancy firms who don't hold the designation.
CMCs are independent, objective, and able to get past an organization’s ‘self-diagnosed’ problems. They help clients identify the underlying root causes to develop realistic solutions that positively impact the organization. To ensure a professional engagement, CMCs follow a proven consulting process, that ensures no stone is left unturned, and all options are considered.
- Helping to clarify and define the problem as opposed to the symptom is a key first stage objective
- Assessing and diagnosing your business situation, the opportunities, the challenges, and the external factors that affect the environment within which you operate
- Working with you, CMC’s develop alternative strategies for improvement
Our certified members assess your situation, and work with you to evaluate options, develop recommendations, and implement solutions. CMCs recognize that change in one area may impact another. They know that every project involves change and they are skilled to help you confidently lead this change in your organization.
- Communicating effectively with all stakeholders, ensuring their needs and issues are understood
- Working with you and your team to ensure that your firm becomes more knowledgeable and more capable
- Conducting a consulting assignment with efficiency and professionalism
Throughout this process, you will have an ally who is knowledgeable, objective, and a leader. It is the singular goal of our certified members to improve your business in an efficient, ethical, and positive manner.
- Exhibiting a depth of knowledge in specific areas, but also ensuring an overall breadth of knowledge
- Displaying ethical behavior
- Demonstrating management breadth
CMCs help augment your organization’s horsepower - for however short a time is required. This makes CMCs less costly to engage than a full-time employee, and allows your own people to focus on their main responsibilities.
- Working with you and your team to lead change, using effective facilitation and coaching techniques
- Anticipating and planning where resistance and challenges may occur
- Managing the implementation plan, and ensuring key milestones are met
CMCs maintain a higher level of professionalism - this is one of the greatest assets of the designation, and is the prerequisite for trusting someone enough to accept them into your business. The CMC is your guarantee that certified consultants have met a comprehensive competency profile that ensures anyone who holds the designation has a high level of proficiency in nine areas of skill.
It’s how CMCs distinguish themselves, both in regards to other consultants and on the job. Click here to download the complete CMC Competency Profile.